Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Big Day

There is always so much anticipation on what the "Big Day" is going to be like. Will I get the epidural?, will there be pain?, how much will the baby weigh?, what time will he be born?, will he be healthy? Those questions are now answered, and I am so happy to say that everything went great. I arrived at the hospital 4 cm. dilated and 80% effaced with very few contractions. I learned my lesson with Allison not to wait until the contractions start because then it is too late! I got the epidural at 5:00p.m., they started pitosin at 5:30, my doctor checked me at 6:00 and said the contractions hadn't quite kicked in yet, the nurse checked me an hour later at 7:00 and I was 10 cm and ready to push. My dr. had gone home so we had to wait about a half hour for her to get back to the hospital. She arrived about 7:30 and two pushed later Joshua was born at 7:45. It was a great experience and I am both happy and sad that it is already over. Grandma Graham came from work in her scrubs and fit right with the hospital staff! I have been lucky to have her there while all three kids were born.
Auntie Nora was in the room when Allison and Zachary were born. This time she invited herself to be in the delivery room, but I wouldn't have it any other way!
Helena also was there to see baby Joshua being born. She rode down the elevator with my dr. and we had her come to see his birth. It was great having so many people that love and support you at such a special moment.
Kevin came in AFTER the birth and looks like such a pro holding the baby. He will make a great dad in about 5 months!
And of course, the only one who I really needed was Ryan. He is always so calm and excited at the same time. He is a great dad and great husband!

4 comments:

Emily said...

I can't wait until I am the one holding him, meeting him for the first time.

Kellyry said...

Worth every annoyance quality he may possess to have your partner by your side!

Kristin said...

I hope my baby's delievery is that easy! :-)

Helena said...

I love these pics. I can't thank you and Ryan enough for letting me be with you guys at such a special moment. Every time I think about it, I get teary eyed. You two letting me in the delivery room was one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me and it was most definetly one of the most special moments of my life. I feel so much calmer about labor after watching you be such a champ. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. XOXOXOXO